Monday, September 25, 2017

Know Your Child’s Educational Rights in the Englewood Public Schools

Dr. Dierdre G. Paul

What is the difference between an IEP and a 504?
Navigating the education system can be challenging for all parents, but it is even more so for parents/caregivers of children with special needs. 

One of my campaign promises is to make the process easier for you by providing regular informational pieces, tips, and links. 

I will never forget that my primary role as a duly elected Board of Education member is to serve and assist you in providing your child with a high-quality, excellent public school education in the Englewood Public School District.

An IEP (Individualized Educational Plan) is, generally, for those students who have been evaluated by the Child Study Team and classified. 504s are usually provided for students who have not undergone the evaluation process but still struggle (academically) in school.

Parents of children with both, IEPs and 504s, must consent to their children’s educational evaluation by the school district. 

A student with an IEP can receive an independent educational evaluation by an outside expert of your choice, paid for by the district and at no cost to you, the parent. Further, the district doesn’t have to agree to pay beforehand.

If a significant change is made to either, your child’s IEP or 504, you are entitled to written notice prior to the enactment of the change.

IEPs must be evaluated each year and the student must be reevaluated every three (3) years. While it isn’t mandated that a 504 be evaluated each year, it is a commonly held expectation that they should follow the same pattern of evaluation set for IEPs. Thus, parents should expect that 504s are annually evaluated and the student is reevaluated every 3 years.

Paid for by Dierdre G. Paul, Services Provided by Rightway Project, LLC

(Freely copied from Dr. Paul's Facebook status Update.)

No comments:

Post a Comment